Thursday, May 29, 2014

live it - getaway



I have had a rough start to 2014 and never did I need a beach vacation more than I did this month! I was able to spend Memorial Day weekend in Florida for a girl's reunion weekend and it was SO lovely! I have known these girls since my freshmen year of college (...a very long time ago) and I haven't seen them in two years, this trip was overdue.



Coming from Washington D.C., Atlanta, Ft. Lauderdale(ish) and NASHVILLE :)we all met up in Panama City Beach, FL for our getaway adventure. Waking up at 3:30 a.m. to catch my flight (shout out to the best roommate who drove me to the airport at 4 a.m.!) was not fun, but it was definitely worth it. I was the last to arrive, so we went right from the airport to the beach and after our driver (cough- Kayla) nearly ran over a cyclist, we made it to the white sand and gorgeous blue water. I forgot how perfect Florida beaches are on a sunny day!



It was so awesome to spend time with these girls again. I am so thankful for the friendships that can pick right back up, even if you haven't been around each other in a while. There were four of us that met up and we really couldn't be more different from one another. Britt (the other one) is super beachy, has a natural chill/beach style I wish I could pull off, Kayla sports a sweet Alabama accent, loves football and never wears the same outfit twice (<-impressive!), Beach is a southern business lady with heels, pearls and monogrammed everything, super tan and always put together, then there is me- the only one who had vintage granny sandals instead of flip-flops at the beach and searched for weeks for a high waist bikini (not-so-awesome tan lines).



Even though we are so different and when we drove along the coast with windows down, blaring country music (ironic the one from Nashville doesn't really listen to country) it was very apparent, but we just get one another on a rare level. These are girls that I don't have to try around, they just get me. Maybe it is because all of us have lived together at one point, but there is not one question or topic we don't cover or ask, nothing is held back even to the most blunt of statements. The rawness, realness of our friendship is so refreshing and rare.



Nearly running over pedestrians, turning down movie requests, wasp stings, observing the amount of germs living on money, staying in sketchy hotel motel holiday inns, exploring small beach towns, singing songs about treading water like an egg beater, late night chats about past, present and future boys, running near-marathons in airports, can't wait for the next reunion.

No comments:

Post a Comment